Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:07:30 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> AFAIK, the main use of C-q is to insert a char by hitting the
> corresponding key, handy when that key is bound to something else than
> self-insert-command.
>
> So by using chars ? # or \ to mean something else, we get into the
> situation where the user might not know how to insert #, ?, or \ when
> those keys are bound to non-self-inserting commands.  I think this is
> a serious problem.

Well, that's true enough, though of course already applies to 0-7 or
0-9A-F depending on read-quoted-char-radix

Maybe just providing read-quoted-char-radix is enough :-), especially if
the #o240 -> #o377 encoding breakage is resolved.

(Though one thing that springs to mind is to allow C-q ## to insert
a literal #...  Also, couldn't #?\ pretty easily be made another
customize option? read-quoted-char-accept-elisp-literals)