Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:37:20 -0500

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:27:47 +0300 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> Thanks, I see now why it is necessary to skip these ranges.
[patch to ucs-insert that includes read-char-by-name omitted]

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:44:51 -0700 "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I don't understand why we don't just provide an interactive
>> > function and let the users pick the keybinding they like.
>> > IMHO this is completely useless for many users (considering
>> > input methods exist for particular languages and we've talked
>> > about stacking multiple input methods), and essential for much
>> > fewer people (who need to enter arbitrary Unicode characters
>> > by number).
>>
>> Seems like a good suggestion to me if combined with Juri's
>> latest suggestion.

DA> +1

I tried Juri's patch.  It works fine, but on my system it was pretty
slow (and I have a decent, fast workstation).  It took 3-5 seconds to
display the list without byte-compiling the code (which I generally do
when testing to be sure functions are not too slow).  I worry that on a
slow machine hitting TAB to see the completions will be painful.

Can completions be cascaded somehow?  The first tier would show all the
common first words, e.g. ... AEGEAN APL GREEK ... and then selecting
something from the first tier would cascade down to the second tier.
This might actually be a sensible suggestion for any completion list
with more than 100 or so members, and the tier separation can be done
with the word syntax of the current mode.

Anyhow, besides the speed issue, Juri's patch works fine for me and I
can now insert ANKHs and GERMAN PENNY SYMBOLs anywhere I like :)

Ted