Re: keyboard is intermittently ignored

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: keyboard is intermittently ignored
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:24:39 -0400

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

> emacs cvs head on amd64:
> every now and then the keyboard is ignored for a while, then
> everything is back to normal.
> mouse works: I can select, paste, use menus (including undo), but the
> keyboard is silently ignored: I can type into xterm (actually, gnome
> terminal), thunderbird (like I am doing now), caps lock and num lock
> work fine - but emacs does not respond to any keypresses (including
> C-g
> and C-]). loadavg is 0.
> I cannot figure out what triggers this behavior and why the keyboard
> input resumes (usually, after a few minutes of inactivity).
> I am running under gdb, so if you tell me where to look, we can
> probably debug this problem together.
> Thanks.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a way to debug this using gdb.
If this bug occurs fairly often, one useful approach may be to try older
versions of Emacs CVS and see where the problem first appearred.  This
is somewhat time-consuming, but it should take at most five or six
iterations to pinpoint the source of the problem (assuming you use a
binary search).