Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:24:17 -0400

    You might want to throttle your auto-responder that triggers whenever
    someone refers to `Linux' without the GNU/ prefix.

That is an insulting thing to say.  I thought about how to respond
to your message, as I always do.

    I really MEANT the kernel.

In that case, you could have made your meaning unambiguous by saying
"kernel".  Since we were talking about Windows, which is a complete
operating system (not a kernel), it was entirely reasonable for me to
think you too meant a complete system.

    Quoting wikipedia:

      An operating system (commonly abbreviated OS and O/S) is the software
      component of a computer system that is responsible for the management
      and coordination of activities and the sharing of the resources of the
      computer. The operating system acts as a host for application programs
      that are run on the machine.

That is one of the two customary meanings of operating system.
The other customary meaning refers to the whole system.

Wikipedia ought to mention both, but I cannot fight them
over this.