Re: [Emacs.app dev]: ghost cursor problem is still there

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: [Emacs.app dev]: ghost cursor problem is still there
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:42:29 -0400

On Jul 22, 2008, at 9:41 AM, David Reitter wrote:

Well, if someone could explain why redisplay noticed a change in - >cursor_off_p in Carbon or X, but not in NS, then that would already be helpful. I don't think enabling the original blink-cursor-mode will be difficult, and you get a lot of functionality for free that way.

I think this might be due to differences in event loop handling between NS and the other ports. I've summarized the NS port approach to event loop integration and a few other areas in nextstep/DEV-NOTES.

Basically, the NS port does not poll for events, but goes into a loop where only a timeout firing or a user event will return control to emacs. (Sometimes the timeout period is specified by emacs itself.) I'm guessing that maybe waiting for events is supposed to be interrupted (for a redisplay pass) when emacs internally decides to change the cursor state, but this interrupting is not happening for some reason.