Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:43:18 -0400

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

> If a command normally moves by screen lines, making it do something
> different in a keyboard macro is incorrect.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the idea either.

> Why doesn't it work right in a keyboard macro?
> Is this because it uses data structures that are updated
> only by redisplay, and the keyboard macro does not redisplay?

No, it's because keyboard macros recorded using one window width may not
work properly when you change the window width, if the line wrapping has
changed.

After thinking about this more, I think we might leave this alone.  It's
not difficult to do M-x toggle-truncate-lines if you need to avoid this
problem, if it ever crops up.