Re: eshell-defgroup fouls up `make bootstrap'.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: eshell-defgroup fouls up `make bootstrap'.
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:22:22 -0400

> I cvs updated yesterday and now can't build Emacs.  The problem is the
> non-existence of eshell-defgroup.

> eshell-defgroup is aliased to defgroup in .../lisp/eshell/eshell.el.
> (As a matter of interest, why?)

> I've tried putting an `(eval-and-compile ...)' round the definition of
> eshell-defgroup, but this doesn't help.  It fails as follows:

>     Symbol's function definition is void: eshell-defgroup

> There's a comment in eshell.el just before the defalias about "putting
> the whole definition into the autoload file" which I don't understand,
> so I don't really want to mess around, here.

> Would you look at this, please.  Thanks!

For what it's worth: "make bootstrap" *SHOULD* work.
It works for me here, so I don't know what's the problem at your end,
but if/when you figure it out, please send it back here so we can
address it.

AFAIK, normally removing lisp/loaddefs.el and lisp/eshell/esh-groups.el
and then rebuilding loaddefs.el should do the trick, and AFAIK "make
bootstrap" does that.

        Stefan