end-of-visual-line / wrapped lines

From: David Reitter
Subject: end-of-visual-line / wrapped lines
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:01:49 +0100

I've run into a rather general problem with `end-of-visual- line' (bound to C-e in visual-line-mode).

If lines are wrapped, it moves to the beginning of the next visual line instead. In my earlier implementation of this, I actually moved one character back, which is correct when word-wrap is turned on, because the space at the end of the current line is skipped (and that's okay). However, if word-wrap is turned off, then there is no space and also no newline, so nothing that could be skipped.

It seems to be a design issue: how does on place the point at a given position, but ensure that it is displayed at the end of a visual line rather than at the beginning of the next one? I don't know how to do that, and it might not be possible at all, by principle.