Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:56:36 -0400

On Aug 4, 2008, at 08:50, Adrian Robert wrote:
I haven't yet waded through enough of the menu handling code to figure out if it's easy to make it dynamic and updated from lisp, but I threw together code to add a fixed one-element menu, not conditionalized on which flavor of NS support is used.

When you say "one-element", you mean it adds the one element to the existing standard dock menu provided by the system, or it replaces it? I'd prefer adding..

If it adds (or we can get the patch into that form) I'd be inclined to accept it now, because it is only altering an existing (Cocoa- generated) menu. Adding a dynamic lisp-based menu would be a new feature and I'd have that wait.

It appears that the items of the menu you define get slipped in between the list of windows and the standard set of actions in the menu that pops up.

Using the keyboard commands to delete a frame get that result; clicking on buttons with the mouse can make the application go away.

This sounds like a bug. Shouldn't it have the same behavior regardless of whether close from mouse or keyboard?

I'm comfortable enough with the way things have worked for a while that this doesn't seem like an issue to me. The lack of consistency of the new Mac UI with the way the rest of it works does, though. (Well, I haven't checked the Windows version.)

If you want to argue that all window-system versions should behave the way the Cocoa port does now, go for it. But unless/until you win that argument, I think the Cocoa port should change.

A variation I'd be more interested in, though, might be the ability to run window-less. Much like some Mac apps will let you close the last window, but keep running, and let you open new windows (or quit) through the menus that are displayed even without any open windows. I don't know if there's a good analog for this behavior for X11 and Windows, though, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

You've stumbled onto another FOR-RELEASE item:

** finish handle terminate request (user logout)

I'd definitely appreciate help on this one because it ought to be simple but I seem to be unable to get it working.. take a look at [EmacsApp -applicationShouldTerminate:] in nsterm.m...

Probably getting out of my depth in Cocoa and Objective C, but I'll try to take a look tonight.

Ken