Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:24:28 -0400

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
>>> about why this version of Emacs is there.
>>
>> It certainly _used_ to work just fine, and is of course quite useful for
>> using with a cygwin installation.
>>
>> I've only installed it from the standard cygwin package though...
>> [about 7 months ago]
>

> I just installed the cygwin Emacs for X. I have never used X.

I use this for reading email with Gnus at work, because the mail
server requires 'starttls', which I could only get to work via Cygwin.

> When I try to start Emacs now I get the rather incomprehensible:
>
>   $ emacs
>   emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:0.0.
>   Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
>   Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
>   connections from your machine.
>
> What?

You need to start the X server first. I use:

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

XWin -clipboard -multiwindow -multimonitors -silent-dup-error -logverbose 0 &

--
-- Stephe