Re: Release plans

From: christophe
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:16:21 +0200

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:37:48 -0700
> From: Thomas Lord <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Release plans
> To: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>        address@hidden,    address@hidden
>
> Miles Bader wrote:
>> Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The more urgent issue concerns the emerging W3C-based world:
>>> what will GNU have to offer there?
>>>

>> Hopefully, an alternative...
>>

> That's pithy but I don't actually get it.   Why call for an alternative?

Maybe the lack of freedom in today's Web architecture. In his
dissertation, Roy T. Fielding describes REST as an architectural
style. According to him, «examples of architectural styles include the
"null style" (which has no constrains at all), pipe and filter,
client/server, distributed objects and — you guessed it — REST» (1).
As i said elsewhere, internet is by nature a decentralized network, so
distributed architectures will prevail sooner or later... While I
appreciate your analysis and share most of your points, i agree with
RMS about the lack of freedom in the design of the web...

A Quote from Mr. Paul Stacey:
«Peer-to-peer systems have existed since the first incarnation of the
Internet. In recent times the Internet has taken on a more
hierarchical form, power has been taken away from the individual and
placed in the hands of operators of large servers. However, with the
re-emergence of p2p the individual is gaining more freedom. End users
attached to the Internet now have the power to host and publish
content through the user of p2p technologies...»
(Stacey, Paul, "Peer-to-peer searching and sharing of electronic
documents" (2004). Masters. Paper 9.)
( http://arrow.dit.ie/engmas/9 )

Hope this can help.

christophe