Re: Release plans

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:44:26 +0200

On Thursday 14 August 2008 13:07:35 Johannes Weiner wrote:

Hi Hannes,

> Neither the Linux kernel, nor I as a free user who chooses not to load
> proprietary bullcrap into it, have been harmed by the kernel's
> mechanism to load said bullcrap.

That needs not to be true.  Take the nvidia drivers as an example.  If
the kernel wouldn't allow this driver to be loaded, we might have a
better free driver today.  Who knows?

The same applies to the intel wireless drivers, which require some
proprietary firmware.  If something works, the attraction of
implementing a free alternative fades away.

Of course you can argue the other way round, too.  Would GNU/Linux be
where it is today if no proprietary drivers allowed most features of the
computer to be used?

Bye,
Tassilo