Re: Release plans

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:41:23 +0200

Hi, again, again, again, again!

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, again, again, again!
>
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:15:00PM +0200, Johannes Weiner wrote:
>
>> By the way, what prevents you from loading proprietary .elc files?
>
> .elc files are compiled from .el files.  .el files, because they call
> functions like `car', because they embed themselves in the standard Emacs
> obarray, ..., are extensions to Emacs.  Therefore, they're subject
> to the GPL.  Or something like that.

Hm, I wonder if this cooperative loader could use the same trick.
I.e. make the module register itself and by using the registration
mechanism which is GPL software, the module becomes derivative work.  Or
something.

>> > By the way, do you really live in an acid bath?  ;-)
>
>> Jawohl!  It's actually a reference to a reeeeaaally bad piece of german
>> electronic dance music... `Join me in my bath of acid.  Witness your
>> own decay.  Boom Boom Boom Boom...'
>
> Ah.  A bit like Johann Sebastian Bach.  Got you!  ;-)

Huh, why JSB?  Bach was a good hacker.  The author of the piece in
question is, well, ... :)

        Hannes