Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:41:18 -0400

    But it is better to have badly written free software than having well
    written non-free software.  We can fix the former, but not the later.

Exactly.  The idea of the free software movement is that we don't
give up our freedom just to "get a job done".

    Software is written for a purpose.  Windows
    does its job, whether it does it good or bad and whether you like the
    philosophy or not.  It is not free and it solves the problem it was
    written for.

If you define "the job" in purely practical terms, that response
follows logically.  There are users who can get their work done using
Windows.

It does not follow that the existence of Windows is a good thing or that
developing it was ethically acceptable.  Part of valuing freedom is that
you don't consider something a "solution" if it costs you freedom.