Re: whither GNU

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: whither GNU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:36:09 +0200

Hi,

"David Robinow" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:34, Thomas Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> The GNU projects, especially central ones like Emacs, do
>>> double duty as "messages" and their role as messages takes
>>> priority over technical quality.
>>
>> That was pretty evident in the way bzr did get "chosen" as future dVCS
>> for Emacs.
> No, that's a separate issue. Thomas is referring to the (unnecessary)
> war against non-free software having preference over the improvement
> of free software.
>  The choice of bzr was perfectly reasonable. Emacs and bzr are part of
> the GNU community. The choice has increased the "market share" of bzr
> and has already led to improvements.
>  Are there still problems? I don't know. I haven't used it yet. If you
> find any you should file a bug report.

Perhaps the devs might not be quite sure about calling it a bug, but
does it count when I say I have never ever checked out the bzr
repository because I just aborted the operation when it still said `I am
working' after almost 15 minutes?

Btw, there is no point for me in filing a bug report.  There is a free
program that works way better for me and I am not interested in using
something inferior.  I would ponder if the other one was non-free but
this way it's just ridiculous.

        Hannes