Re: auto-refresh TAGS file on ChangeLog mod?

From: David House
Subject: Re: auto-refresh TAGS file on ChangeLog mod?
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:50:01 +0100

Sorry Tom, meant this to go to the list in the first place, hope you
don't mind my quoting your answer.

2008/8/22 Tom Tromey <address@hidden>:
> David> Even on moderately large projects running etags can take a few
> David> seconds. An obvious optimisation would be to add support to etags to
> David> replace one part of the TAGS file, i.e., regnerate the tags for just a
> David> single file and splice them in to TAGS. This would make it feasible to
> David> run retags on every file save, for example.
>
> I was hoping for something with a bit less tweaking.  The nice thing
> about retags is I can make a config file once, then basically forget
> about it.

I don't see why my method would lead to more customisation. At the
moment, etags cannot replace the entries in TAGS for a given file. I
suggest adding this, so that we can call etags --replace index.php,
which will extract tags from index.php, and then replace index.php's
entry in TAGS with the tags found.

> Also, hooking into file save doesn't handle some cases, like "svn update".

Sorry, by "file save" I really meant "file update", using inotify or
similar. Or maybe just an idle-timer-hook that checked the filemtimes.

--
-David