Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:42:26 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> I just deleted a file because I misunderstood dired. I needed that file
> (of course).
>
> And then I found that dired did not make any backup and did not use
> windows Recycle bin.
>
> This behaviour does not make me trust for example GNU/Linux. I would
> beleive this is a behaviour implemented after how things work there. Is
> this correct? Does Emacs behave this way on GNU/Linus too?

Traditionally on unix and gnu+linux, when you say you want a file gone,
the system and programs believe you.  This is quite widely regarded as a
feature. And personally, I think trashcans just suck, they're a terrible
UI metaphor, apart from the security risks.  Things like
versioned/snapshotted filesystems with timeline views are so much neater.

That said, on typical gnu+linux desktops, there IS a trash can provided,
but emacs dired delete AFAIK doesn't use it.  It probably could (or
another "move to trash" command be provided) with relatively little
effort (nonetheless I'm not volunteering...), the spec is very simple
and widely adopted.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/trash-spec