Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:41:53 -0500

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
> I just deleted a file because I misunderstood dired. I needed that file
> (of course).
>
> And then I found that dired did not make any backup and did not use
> windows Recycle bin.

Recycle bins are a shell-level niceism that are not central to the
operating system.  If you type 'del file' at the Windows command prompt,
it will not use the recycle bin.

> This behaviour does not make me trust for example GNU/Linux. I would
> beleive this is a behaviour implemented after how things work there. Is
> this correct? Does Emacs behave this way on GNU/Linus too?

Yes.  Emacs, when it deletes a file, tells the operating system to
delete it.

The major desktop environments all provide a recycle bin-like feature
(usually called Trash) when you're using their file management
facilities, but this is not a function of the operating system itself.

I would say, however, that allowing this to cause you to not trust
GNU/Linux is a non sequitor.  Operating systems provide a "remove file"
function to applications, and on most of them (both Windows and the
Linux kernel included) actually remove the file when it is called.  To
move to a recycle bin, you need to use move or something like it to put
the file in the recycle bin.  Some applications do this.  Some do not.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.