Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:06:37 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:58:08 +0200
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Who said I do not want to customize my .emacs?

If you do, then making this the default should not be so important for
you.

This is a new feature, introduced just recently; prudence would have
it that we let the feature be used for some time before even thinking
to make it the default.  Especially since at least some of us here do
not share your enthusiasm for it.

> A little bit more seriously, what is your argument? What harm does it
> make to turn on this by default?

Jason explained one harm.  Another one is that I like my disks have
lots of free space, and don't expect deleted files to stay on them.

> My impression is the opposite, that most well written w32 programs use
> the Recycle Bin.

If you define a ``well written program'' as a program that use the
Bin, then I agree.  Otherwise, please give some examples of programs
that do and those which don't, and tell why you think the former are
more ``well written'' than the latter.