Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:11:37 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Johannes Weiner wrote:
>> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I just deleted a file because I misunderstood dired. I needed that file
>>> (of course).
>>
>> Do you see the paradoxon?
>
> I don't know. What is it? Sounds like some fairytale animal.

Sorry, translation error.  Remove the -on ending by either deleting it
or moving it into the trash-can.

>> Would it be feasible to extend the documentation on this?  I suspect
>> that you don't use dired without ever looking at the documentation at
>> all, so a note in the docstring (and info file) that explains that
>> `delete' means `delete' would be enough to prevent this
>> misunderstanding?
>
> Thanks, I am sorry, but I really do not think so. This is not a logical
> misunderstanding. It is an expectation on the behaviour of the UI.

Why do you expect it from the UI in the first place?  Even on Windows
there are probably more interfaces to delete a file that don't have a
notion of a trash can than interfaces that have.

But whatever the fix is, please don't have me extend my
~/emacs/garbage-collect.el to sanitize the dired behaviour again.

What I mean to say is: if your expectation of the the interface differs
from what has been there for a long time, do not punish long-standing
users with new annoying warnings, silent/noisy behaviour change,
creation of stuff like ~/Trash or another flag which they have to set
instead of the people requesting different behaviour.

> However mentioning there how to turn on the Recycle Bin support (or
> whatever it will be called) would be a good thing.

Agreed.

        Hannes