Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:26:51 +0200

Hi Lennart,

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I don't know. What is it? Sounds like some fairytale animal.
>>
>> Sorry, translation error.  Remove the -on ending by either deleting it
>> or moving it into the trash-can.
>
> Oh, I imagined a sweet animal but a bit sad and lonely animal standing
> there watching us when we were trying to fit into a small logical
> prison. It felt said because we were trying to defend ourselves from
> life and all its possibilities and no one asked it for the wisdom it
> had ...

It felt said?

>> Why do you expect it from the UI in the first place?
>
> Thomas Lord took some time to explain what user interface (scientific
> and non-scientific) research had found in this area.
>
> I simply think it is good trying to use the result from that research.
> (Or invalidate it, but I think that takes much, much time to try. And I
> do not expect it to succeed.)

I already invalidated them for myself and I am sure there are others who
like terminal deletion.

My only wish is that whatever fix will result from this thread is
nothing that changes the default behaviour for the main bulk of dired
users that are used to it and can cope.

My main question, though, was why you expected the trash can thing from
an interface that obviously has its roots in *nix cli programs.

        Hannes