Re[2]: font-lock patch for automated edits

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: font-lock patch for automated edits
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:07:50 -0400

>>> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>>   I have some tests for the CEDET/Semantic incremental parsing engine.
>> This test calls 'erase-buffer', and performs edits very quickly, and
>> was causing font-lock to throw errors in my tests.
>
>Do you have backtraces for those bugs?

Hi,

  After fixing the first bug, I'd bump into the next.  I undid my
changes to font-lock, and attached my first stack trace.

  Also see attached a very short version of what I was running.  I
need to run it twice to get the error.  It's actually as easy as just
typing:

M-x erase-buffer RET

  in a buffer with font-locked stuff in it.

It If you want to try out the entire setup I was running, you could
get CEDET from the source-forge CVS, do a build, and then run
semantic-utest-main.

Eric

------------------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range 88 88)
  get-text-property(88 font-lock-multiline)
  font-lock-extend-region-multiline()
  font-lock-default-fontify-region(1 88 nil)
  font-lock-fontify-region(1 88)
  font-lock-after-change-function(1 1 87)
  erase-buffer()
  (let ((buff ...)) (switch-to-buffer buff) (setq buffer-offer-save nil)
(erase-buffer) (insert "/* Test file for C language for Unit Tests
*/\n\n#include <stdio.h>\n#include \"sutest.h\"\n\n") (set-buffer-modified-p
nil))
  crash-font-lock()
  call-interactively(crash-font-lock t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

------------------------

;; Enable global-font-lock mode before using this
(defun crash-font-lock ()
  "Crash font lock by fast-editing a buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((buff (find-file-noselect "/tmp/CFL.cpp")))
    (switch-to-buffer buff)
    (setq buffer-offer-save nil)
    (erase-buffer)
    (insert "/* Test file for C language for Unit Tests */

#include <stdio.h>
#include \"sutest.h\"

"
            )