Re: faces and face variables

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: faces and face variables
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:27:00 +0200

On Sat Sep 13 2008 Glenn Morris wrote:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg01660.html
>
>     Maybe we should work harder to document the fact that we do not
>     want such variables.
>
> Echoing your suggestion.

That message continues:

  Where would such info have reached you better?

I looked up defface in the elisp manual in order to find a hint. But
there was none. So I suggest to mention there (or include a link
pointing elsewhere) that such variables are deprecated.

> > Font-lock also has such variables, and the code contains the comment
> > that these variables
>
> Don't use font-lock as an example, it's a law unto itself for
> historical reasons.

As I said, the starting point for me was dired.el. Certainly, that
code has its own history. But the bottom line is that there is more
than one source for the "wrong inspiration" and it would be good if
at some prominent point it was stated clearly what today's
recommended strategy is (despite historical counter examples).

Are there, besides font-lock and dired, other fossils in GNU emacs
that still use such variables?

Roland