Re: customize face-font-family-alternatives detroys it's value

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: customize face-font-family-alternatives detroys it's value
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:00:57 +0200

> M-x customize RET face-font-alternatives

You mean

M-x customize-option RET face-font-family-alternatives

here?

> distorts the value.
>

> It always displayes and saves
>
> '((DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono Courier\ New)
>   (Arial Verdana Helvetica fixed))
>
> I can set it to a correct value
>
> '(("DejaVu Sans Mono" "Courier New")
>   ("Arial" "Verdana" "Helvetica" "fixed"))
>
> and save it correctly.

What does C-h v face-font-family-alternatives say at this time?

> But when I customize the same value again,

What do you do precisely here?

> and refuse to save it.

What does "refuse to save it" mean?

> Then I get this warning:
>
>  >>>>
> Error setting face-font-family-alternatives: (wrong-type-argument
> stringp DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono)
> <<<<
>

> BTW: the documentation in customize for "face-font-family-alternatives"
> is wrong??
>
> This is what it is (emacs-23 CVS, two days ago:
>
>    Alist of alternative font family names. Hide Rest
>    Each element has the form (FAMILY ALTERNATIVE1 ALTERNATIVE2 ...).
>    If fonts of family FAMILY can't be loaded, try ALTERNATIVE1, then
>    ALTERNATIVE2 etc.
>
> This is misleading as a value like that triggers the same message
> (missing quotes).

In the customization buffer you don't need any quotes.  Please start
Emacs without any customizations for this, customize it to trigger the
bug, and post the value reported by C-h v face-font-family-alternatives
before and after each customization step here.

Thank you, martin.