Re: Word wrapping and long lines

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Word wrapping and long lines
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:53:41 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Given that almost no code seems to use the margins, I think it might be
>> reasonable to change their locations without bothering about backward
>> compatibility.
> I can't remember exactly how it happened, but I have the nagging feeling
> that GUD's use of the margin for breakpoints was part of the motivation
> to move the margin to the outside.  I don't think just switching it is
> the right answer.

Hmm, what difference does it make to GUD which side they're on?

In practice, of course, gud doesn't even seem to encounter the issue --
it uses the fringe for breakpoints on X, and though it uses the left
margin for breakpoints on terminals, there's no left fringe at all in
that case.

Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.