Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:29:45 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     But I do not write most of the major modes. They come from all over the
>     world ...
>
> If we want all major modes to do something different, we can change
> the functions `kill-all-local-variables' and `run-hooks'.

Yes, that could be a way, but I think we first have to think about how,
when and which buffer local variables should survive moving between
chunks with different major modes. I have thought about three different
cases:

- Buffer local variables that should never survive moving between chunks
with different major modes.

- Those that always should survive (but be killed when switching major
modes when mumamo is not used).

- Those that will be killed when moving to a chunk with a different
major mode, but will be resurrected when point again reaches a chunk
with the same major mode. (They are what I call "per major mode".)