Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: docs for insert-file-contents use 'bytes'
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:17 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> EZ> Like with any other random bytes, I think: it will produce eight-bit-*
> EZ> characters in the buffer.  IOW, you get garbled text.
>
> This is not a safe operation mode with multibyte sequences; is there a
> way to DTRT?  I'm specifically thinking about a paged buffer mode where
> you only see a small portion of the file (for editing large files, as we
> discussed in another newsgroup a while ago).

Why is it "not safe"?  How would you do things differently?

In conjunction with _file_ contents, a byte offset seems certainly the
most natural thing.  An "encoded character offset", for instance, would
be far less efficient, much more complex to implement (and thus
buggier), and harder to use in general.

-Miles

--
Sabbath, n. A weekly festival having its origin in the fact that God made the
world in six days and was arrested on the seventh.