japanese vs. chinese fonts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: japanese vs. chinese fonts
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:38:44 +0900

When I enter Japanese in emacs, it now uses a Chinese font to display
the characters!

Even though:

  (1) I used the "japanese" input method

  (2) My language-environment is "Japanese"

  (3) I have Japanese ttf fonts installed on my system, which fontconfig
      knows about, and which used to be used by emacs.

  (4) Emacs _used_ to do the right thing (displaying Japanese text using
      Japanese fonts).

What should I do to debug this?

Here's an example of a mis-displayed character (I don't know how this
will display on other people's systems, but note the font name).

        character: $B2=(B (21270, #o51426, #x5316)
preferred charset: japanese-jisx0208
                   (JISX0208.1983/1990 Japanese Kanji: ISO-IR-87)
       code point: 0x323D
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: C:Chinese (Han) characters of 2-byte character sets
                   c:Chinese h:Korean j:Japanese
                   |:While filling, we can break a line at this character.
      buffer code: #xE5 #x8C #x96
        file code: #xE5 #x8C #x96 (encoded by coding system utf-8)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:address@hidden@5$A:Z(B-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
(#xDCA)

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Brain, n. An apparatus with which we think we think.