Re: filecache.el questions

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: filecache.el questions
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:36:36 +0200

> in using filecache.el I found two issues I have for now addressed on my
> own:
>
> 1) the file-cache-alist is never saved.  This is a problem with large
> file sets (incidentally, it would be nice if Emacs had a native way of
> storing large data sets in an external database, as I mentioned).  I
> wrote a serialization function that essentially dumps with prin1 and
> princ and reads back with eval.  I also added a variable with the list
> of locations that should be scanned at startup.

I had the same problem when I learnt about this and I created a page
over at EmacsWiki about it:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FileNameCache

Nowadays I use `anything' and the `anything-c-source-file-cache'
source instead of my old iswitchb hack. I even have a special command
when I want to use `anything' just to get files from the cache (the
cache is so large that I don't want it to be used for normal
invocations of `anything'):

(defun anything-file-cache ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((anything-sources