Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:07:58 +0000

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 07:55:13PM +0200, csant wrote:
> Hi,

> I am very glad we recently got the --daemon option.  I am having a little
> trouble with it, though.  When starting
>       $ emacs --daemon
> and then attaching an emacsclient with
>       $ emacsclient -t <file>
> I get the following message:

> An error has occurred while loading `/home/csant/.emacs':

> error: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

> When I however start emacs with said flag, everything goes smooth.  Also,
> when starting emacs in non-daemon mode, I get no messages.  I am puzzled,
> and wondering what other ways there are for me to see what actually goes
> wrong in the init, short of just dumping my whole ~/.emacs here???

> Suggestions appreciated.

No suggestions, but a "me too".  I've just updated and rebuilt Emacs-23,
and with this command:

    $ ~/emacs/emacs/src/emacs -batch -l 000tests.el -f do-all-tests

(i.e., run the CC Mode test suite),  I get the same error message,
namely:

    Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

.  This is distressing.  It also suggests the error is nothing to do with
--daemon, but perhaps more to do with ttys.  The error happens both on a
Linux tty and an X-Windows term.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).