Re: bug#1212: 23.0.60; split-string-and-unquote problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#1212: 23.0.60; split-string-and-unquote problems
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:27:28 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:11:10 -0400
>
> >     *** `split-string-and-unquote' does (what?)
> >     *** `combine-and-quote-strings' does (what?)
>
> AFAIK, these two functions are meant to:
>
> - provide a way to specify any list of strings within a single string
>   (i.e. it needs to provide some separators and some way to quote the
>   separators), using a format that's simple to type for the end user.

Thanks.

However, this describes roughly what the code does (which I kinda
understood myself by reading it ;-), but does not explain under what
circumstances would those functions be useful.  By looking at the uses
of split-string-and-unquote, I deduced that the intended use is for
taking apart shell command lines.  If that is not the intent, then
what is it?

> - be inverse of each other; more precisely
>   (equal STR (split-string-and-unquote (combine-and-quote-strings STR)))
>   this is also stipulated in the docstring of split-string-and-unquote.

The doc strings make very clear that the functions are reversible, but
that in itself does not yet mean they are useful, or for what purpose
exactly.