Re: emacs client/server mode hardcodes /tmp path

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: emacs client/server mode hardcodes /tmp path
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:38:14 +0100

>> I'm working to make use of pam_mktemp in my systems by default,
>> pam_mktemp is a PAM module that creates a private temporary
>> directory per-user inside /tmp and sets TMP and TMPDIR accondingly.

> Indeed.  I'm not sure what should be done here.  The reason for the
> hard-coded /tmp is that the emacsclient process and the emacs server
> process may be executed from different contexts (different login
> sessions for example), so it's not clear that they would use the
> same $TMPDIR setting.

> What do others think?  Should we take the risk and obey $TMPDIR?

Hi,

coming back to this old subject, has any decision been taken on this?
GNU Coding Standards [1] explicitely say:

# If you make temporary files, check the TMPDIR environment variable;
# if that variable is defined, use the specified directory instead of
# /tmp.

Ulrich

[1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Semantics