RE: Please add a

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Please add a
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:05:24 -0800

> > Juri, I think it would be better to also have a link on the
> > Help menu. That's because I bet some users look only on the
> > Help menu, and not also on the splash screen, for help.
> >
> > All: what do you think?
>
> It's a little counter-intuitive for menu items to open hyperlinks, at
> least in my experience.

Not in my experience. (s/counter-intuitive/natural)

Nowadays it is not uncommon to have menu items that open Web pages or that
update an application via the Internet.

Web access is especially common for Help menu items, where the Web page often
provides some more up-to-date help than what is available in the app
distribution. This is very common for publishing doc and help updates.

Having a menu item open a (local or Web) hyperlink is also not very different
from having a menu item `Send Bug Report' that lets you compose and send mail.
At one time, someone might have said that that seemed unnatural for a menu item.