http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 20:57:32 -0500

That is a free software license.  "Without fee or royalty" means you
don't have to pay to redistribute it.  So we can use those files,
but we have to maintain the copyright notices and license notices.

How did they get lost?

We must NEVER install code in Emacs without proper copyright notices
and license notices in each file.  Whoever installed these should have
checked them and noticed the lack of these notices.

When the file lacks a notice, it needs to be changed.  If the FSF has
copyright, then it needs an FSF copyright notice and a GPL license
notice.  Otherwise it needs the _right_ notices whatever they are.
Also, any non-FSF-copyrighted material must be checked by the FSF!

Also, we have to distribute the source code.  Someone said these files
are the result of "transforming" some other files.  What kind of
"transforming" was it?  If it is automated, then maybe these files
are the real source code.