Re: Isearch in dired

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Isearch in dired
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:05:08 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It would be useful for isearch in a dired buffer to match only file
>> names by default.  I think this would be a good feature -- if we can
>> come up with a natural way to request ordinary search of the entire
>> buffer.
>
> Emacs 23 has the M-s f C-s (dired-isearch-filenames) command which does
> just that, and the variable dired-isearch-filename which can be changed
> to non-nil to make C-s do the same as M-s f C-s.

Sounds nice!

I would also like to point out that searching for filenames is somewhat
similar to searching for function names. That is, the buffer is parsed
and you search for semantic entities of some kind.

It so happens that Cedet, which is slated for inclusion, contains a tool
called Senator which does this.

--
Joakim Verona