Re: emacsclient's option decoding code

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclient's option decoding code
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 06:09:19 +0200

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:22:08 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Summary of pending issues in this thread:
>
>  - emacsclient -t causes a crash / assertion error; filed as bug#1325.

That's fine; I'd like to try to fix this problem.

>  - emacsclient -c causes the same error, because emacsclient thinks
> that "-c" + null DISPLAY => "-t"; I proposed the attached patch (1),
> because even if -t is supported on Windows, the assumption that an
> empty DISPLAY implies a tty frame is false.

Then why is the patch Windows-specific?  If the above assumption is
false, it shouldn't be made on Posix platforms as well.

Can someone explain why this assumption is in the code?

>  - (make-frame-on-display nil ...) is a synonym of (make-frame ...),
> but only on Windows; I proposed patch (2). Does anyone see a problem
> with it?

What happens if emacsclient is invoked with --display=DISPLAY argument
on Windows, after your patch?

>  - Regardless of whether the previous point is accepted or not, the
> new behavior should be documented.

Please add an entry to NEWS, so we won't forget that.

Thanks.