Re: quit-window is broken

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: quit-window is broken
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:43:00 -0500

martin rudalics wrote:
 > yes, it turned out that the problem was with my advice to
 > switch-to-buffer not to create new buffers by default.
 > I wish there were an option for that.

But `switch-to-buffer' doesn't create a new buffer by default.  It
switches to the buffer returned by `other-buffer' instead.

it is called with the nil argument which was not handled properly by the advice.

If it helps we can always hardcode `other-buffer' in the call in
`quit-window'.  When `pop-to-buffer' is rewritten we might have to do
that anyway.  Then the semantics of `switch-to-buffer' changes too ...

it would help if there were a user option switch-to-buffer-create-new-buffer with values t (like it does not), nil (signal an error) and 'ask (ask for a confirmation).