Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:26:05 +0100

   > why on earth does C-x C-b and C-x C-f ask me to confirm when I
   > wish to open a new buffer/file?

   So as to help prevent doing it by mistake when you mistyped.  Set
   confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer to nil to get back the old
   behavior (or just hit RET twice, of course).

Opening a non-existing file, or non-existing buffer is a very common
business.  The current behaviour is not only annoying, but uninuitive,
what am I confirming when hitting RET a second time?  Why do I have to
confirm whatever I am confirming?

It has also two different behaviours depending on what you do, I
cannot think of many Emacs commands that have such a behaviour; I
cannot think of a single one infact.  If a question poped up _every_
time you opened a file, then I could actually understand that, since
then you can hard code your neuros to just always hit y to confirm.

This is to much of a DWI(think you)M, and should be reverted back to
nil; those who wish to get extra questions will then know that they
get extra questions since they have explicitly asked for it.