Re: Server protocol (was: Re: error in server-running-p on M$)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Server protocol (was: Re: error in server-running-p on M$)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:33:33 +0100

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 09:14, Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:

> It is incompatible already:

Yes, unfortunately. The multi-tty code changed emacsclient's protocol
considerably.

I was talking about the user perspective. I have, for example, a bunch
of code that depends on the server auth file and its relation with
server-name. That would be invalidated if suddenly we switched to
other kind of authentication method. Not the end of the world, but
there should be clear benefits before doing that.

> This makes me wonder if the client shouldn't send some token
> identifying the protocol version, which would be checked by the
> server.

Perhaps.

             Juanma