Re: Switching to bzr: what remains to be done?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Switching to bzr: what remains to be done?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:55:08 -0500

> OK, I have some ideas on how to make this work.  I will do a bit of
> experimenting and see what I can come up with.  I've played around with
> branches where I have moved files around and bzr merges that just fine.
> This should (hopefully) just be an extreme example.

The main issue is that the two branches will probably not share a common
ancestor at first.  Typically the problem is keeping track of file
identities: in the Gnus repository lisp/gnus.el will have one identity
and in Emacs's lisp/gnus/gnus.el will have another, so convincing Bzr
that those two files correspond to each other may simply be impossible
(in Arch, the identity is user-visible, set in the "arch-tag:" line or
in the .arch-ids-<file>.id file, so matching the two is not difficult).

        Stefan