Re: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bugs cannot be updated if they are archived?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:31:23 -0800

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > It was (and is) not clear to me what that means. Is it archived
> > > or unarchived?
> >
> > It's archived.
> So you click the link "archived and unarchived reports" to see
> reports that are archived? Not too clear.

You click on it to see "archived and unarchived reports"...

> Actually, it seems that clicking that link shows all bugs, but that
> initially only the outstanding (or the unarchived?) bugs are shown.
> If so, that's confusing. Searching initially will not show an
> archived bug, but searching the same page after clicking the link
> shows it.

The default is to only show unarchived bugs. If you want to see both,
or only archived bugs, you can select that at the bottom of the page.
> Your "separate location" seems to be on the same page, but hidden
> initially (?).

The separate location is a separate place on the filesystem.
> Is `closed' then a superset of `archived'?

> Or does `archived' include some stuff that is not `closed'?

> > > The heading that it appears under on that "archived and
> > > unarchived reports" page is "Resolved bugs - Normal bugs". What
> > > does "resolved" mean?
> >
> > Resolved means that it has been fixed.
> Not in English, it doesn't. ;-)

    4. To determine or decide in purpose; to make ready in mind;
        to fix; to settle; as, he was resolved by an unexpected
        [1913 Webster]

> I see. I thought that any followup email, especially from the bug
> filer, would be sufficient to keep a bug open (or reopen it).

It'll reset the archiving time, but it won't reopen it. Manual
intervention is required for that.

> > So instead of filing more bugs, reopen the original bug with more
> > information. See http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/server-control
> > for more information.
> I would have, if I knew how.

See the link above.

> However, I've also been explicitly told to open a new bug for bugs
> that have been closed but that might still present a problem -
> including for this bug, a couple of hours ago!

Well, whoever is telling you that is making more work for themselves
and/or others.
> Whatever. I'm all for reopening an existing bug instead of just
> creating a new pointer bug. Just tell me how.

See the link above.
> Oh - I see - that the URL works in Google Chrome. So your site appears to be
> limited to particular browsers (and excludes the most commonly used browser).

If the spawn of redmond is unable to properly handle a simple HTTP GET
request, it's not my problem. Presumably they can provide support.

Don Armstrong

He was wrong. Nature abhors dimensional abnormalities, and seals them
neatly away so that they don't upset people. Nature, in fact, abhors a
lot of things, including vacuums, ships called the Marie Celeste, and
the chuck keys for electric drills.
 -- Terry Pratchet _Pyramids_ p166