Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:04:29 +0100

>> > Can you try the patch at:
>> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/22201
>>
>> Tested and Emacs doesn't die anymore. I find the "Connection lost ..."
>> message in the *Messages* buffer after reconnecting.

> IMO that patch is good, but it fixes the effect in this case, not the
> cause.

Hm, could you please elaborate what you mean by "effect" and "cause"
here?

>> #0  Fsignal (error_symbol=0x84863b9, data=0x874d62d) at eval.c:1640
>> #1  0x0824c780 in xsignal (error_symbol=0x84863b9, data=0x874d62d) at
>> eval.c:1772
>> #2  0x081f8844 in report_file_error (string=0x82e8afa "make client process
>> failed", data=0x874d675) at fileio.c:277
>> #3  0x0829a4bd in Fmake_network_process (nargs=0xa, args=0x7f877cd0) at
>> process.c:3632

This error has nothing to do with the X connection problem, right?

> Can you please check why the above function fails?

server-start gets called from kill-emacs-hook. It first deletes the
server-process, and then calls server-running-p, which unsuccessfully
tries to connect to the server's socket (server.el, revision 1.177):

      (when server-process
        ;; kill it dead!
        (ignore-errors (delete-process server-process)))
      ;; Delete the socket files made by previous server invocations.
      (if (not (eq t (server-running-p server-name)))

However, please note that make-network-process in server-running-p is
inside a condition-case. (Which doesn't prevent it from hitting my
gdb breakpoint in Fsignal.)

> Can you also revert server.el to version 1.175 and see if that still
> causes problems?

With 1.175 it doesn't hit Fsignal. But I'm not sure if there really is
a problem in 1.177.

Ulrich