Re: dir-locals.el take precedence over user's mode-hook changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dir-locals.el take precedence over user's mode-hook changes
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:20:58 -0500

> I agree with Stefan that the current order of calling a hook and
> setting local variables (either dired-local or file-local) is wrong.

Just to make things clear, I do not think the current order is
necessarily wrong.  I think either order will sometimes be right
sometimes be wrong, depending on the intention.  E.g. it's often right
for file-local settings to take precedence over "mode-local" settings
(set by mode hook).

So rather than "just" switch the order, we need to find a way for the
user to be able to cleanly specify which behavior he wants on a case by
case basis.

> `bug-reference-url-format' set in Local Variables to the string
> "http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%s";
> (BTW, this file-local variable should be moved to .dir-locals.el)

Could you explain why you think it should be in dir-locals rather than
in the file?

> And when I try to enable `bug-reference-mode' using the following hook:
>   (add-hook 'change-log-mode-hook 'bug-reference-mode)
> it never gets enabled because `bug-reference-mode' tests whether
> a variable `bug-reference-url-format' is non-nil before enabling this mode,
> and this variable is not yet set because it gets initialized later in
> `hack-local-variables'.

Please report this bug.

        Stefan