Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:28:08 -0500

> I don't care what the interface is called.  But my feeling is that the
> primary UI operation here is "withdrawing a frame", and that whether
> the process gets STOPed or not is an implementation detail.  For
> example, in a terminal-based emacs you could (in theory) do

We all agree.  What you're describing is a command: the "consistent
behavior" is user-level behavior, not Lisp-level behavior.
So we do have the suspend-frame command for that purpose.

But we're here talking about whether such a *function* would make sense
and how.  Since the implementation of the concept of "suspend" is wildly
different in those different cases, the Lisp behavior will be quite
different as well, making it more difficult (and/or less useful) to
unify it.

        Stefan