Re: [MH-E] overlay-arrow-string in folder buffer

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [MH-E] overlay-arrow-string in folder buffer
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:27:40 -0800

Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> writes:

> MH-E folks, please try running MH-E in tty.  In September 2008 in
> the fj.editor.emacs newsgroup, one reported that it is annoying
> that ">" hides the message numbers as follows:
>
> 1001
> >002+
> 1003
>
> It is because MH-E uses overlay-arrow and `overlay-arrow-string'
> is hard-coded to ">".  So I offered to him this hook then:
>
> (add-hook 'mh-folder-mode-hook
>         (lambda nil
>           (setq overlay-arrow-string "")))
>
> Isn't it better to mention this in the manual, to make it be ""
> in non-window systems, or to make it customizable?

This has been fixed for some time. Since at least version 8.0 (which
was in Emacs 22.2), there aren't any numbers at all in the first
column so neither the cursor nor the ">" overlay anything.

If you're already using these versions, then I'll bet that you've
customized mh-scan-format-file. When you do this, you disable the
ability of the mh-adaptive-cmd-note-flag processing to change the
width of the message numbers (which is the main reason that people
customize the scan format, and therefore removes the need to customize
the scan format). In this case, you must set your scan format so that
you guarantee that the first column is blank.

I've added this information to the manual. Please see
http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/manual/html/Scan-Line-Formats.html#Scan-Line-Formats

Please include the output of mh-version in the future. Thanks for
including MH-E in the Subject so that I was able to find your email.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD