Re: Switching to bzr: what remains to be done?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Switching to bzr: what remains to be done?
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 21:14:53 -0500

Karl> Other than those, is anything (besides one-time conversion issues)
Karl> preventing us from switching to bzr?

> Today I gave bzr a whirl.  I tried cloning, and I was really surprised
> by the time it took:

> opsy. time bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/trunk/
> Branched 95250 revision(s).
>

> real    55m20.938s
> user    11m8.756s
> sys     0m19.971s

> I'm using the bzr from F9:

> opsy. rpm -q bzr
> bzr-1.9-1.fc9.i386

> Is this expected?  One hour to check out Emacs seems excessive.

I think it's pretty much expected, yes.  Bzr is not a speed daemon, and
the initial checkout is a case in point.  Luckily, this is not a common
occurrence, and it can be sped up in all kinds of ways (e.g. provide
a tarball snapshot of the checked out tree).

        Stefan