Re: Moving to bzr?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Moving to bzr?
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:07:35 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > Does this mean bzr is unusable for w32 users (for a large project
 > like Emacs)?

I have no opinion on that.  You'll have to try it yourself.  I don't
use Windows, I'm just relaying or commenting on benchmark information
reported by reliable people.  Whether bzr is usable or not will depend
heavily on whether your usage requires slow operations very often.

I post because I have spent a lot of time evaluating DVCSes (for
XEmacs in autumn 2007, for ESR's book project -- currently stalled --
in December 2007, and now for the Python DVCS PEP (I'm responsible for
git information).  It seems a shame to have emacs-devel go around in
circles if I can contribute useful information.

I use git daily (with so few complaints that I've never bothered to
subscribe to the ML), also hg (which I don't like as much), and stay
in touch with their recent documentation.  They are high performance
and in my usage the UIs are very stable, so I don't follow the mailing
lists much.

I do participate in the Darcs and Bazaar mailing lists (reading them
on a daily basis), also GNU Arch (which is basically asleep).  While I
know that Stefan is occasionally visible on the Bazaar list, as is
Karl Fogel, they don't seem to be as well-informed (or maybe they just
don't have time to post about it here).

FWIW YMMV.