Re: Option to customize the -m message flag of cvs?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Option to customize the -m message flag of cvs?
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:21:16 +0100

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 19:26, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't know about "strongly" but I tend to agree: -m is the right
> option to use, and if it inserts advertisement, well, that's on purpose,
> so it's a feature rather than a bug.

I understand that to mean that it's not a problem if I simply continue
using CVSNT and the advertisements go into the Emacs CVS logs.

> PS: We could go one step further and automatically detect that it's
> CVSNT and it supports -M and automatically use -M over -m, thus
> defeating CVSNT's advertisement.  But this may simply lead to CVSNT
> using some other means of getting its advertisement message in some
> future version.

It's the CVSNT people who added -M and explained it's use. They have a
FAQ about how to avoid the message, both in the client and the CVSNT
server; they even distribute (or are going to) a custom TortoiseCVS
that already uses -M. This is not a war, just a way (misguided or not)
of increasing visibility for their chosen business model.

    Juanma