Re: Option to customize the -m message flag of cvs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Option to customize the -m message flag of cvs?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:21:25 +0200

> Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:18:55 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  > Is the vc-dir and "cvs -f status" problem the only reason why you
>  > cannot switch to the recent port of CVS offered by
>  > http://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/cvs/binary/ ?  If there are other reasons,
>  > what are they?
>
> The "cvs -f status" problem is an initial obstacle.  I don't have the
> slightest idea what other problems I might encounter when using that
> port.

There's no need to assume there will be other problems, without trying
it first.  Can you try and see how well it goes?

> Currently, I'm mostly harassed by the problems that
>
> (1) reverting a buffer under VC may change its line endings from Unix
>      to DOS, and
>
> (2) `vc-diff' gets me a Diff buffer with ^M appended on each line.

These two sound unrelated to vc-dir (or even VC in general), but
rather bugs related to setting up the encoding/decoding stuff when
these commands run.

> In the future, I'll be more prudent when reading text like
>
>       Hmmm, so all the more reason for people to stop committing stuff
>       separately... :-/
>
>       -Miles

Yes, people who live on GNU/Linux exclusively frequently underestimate
the plight of using their recipes on other platforms.