Add 2009 to copyright years vs. admin/notes/years

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Add 2009 to copyright years vs. admin/notes/years
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:35:21 +0100

Hi Glenn,

I intended to update all copyright years in Gnus after January 1st,
but after reading admin/notes/years, I didn't:

,----[ admin/notes/years ]
| "Our lawyer says it is ok if we add, to each file that has been in Emacs
|  since Emacs 21 came out in 2001, all the subsequent years[1].  We don't
|  need to check whether *that file* was changed in those years.
|  It's sufficient that *Emacs* was changed in those years (and it was!).
|  [...]
|  --RMS, 2005-07-13
`----

But later it says:

,----[ admin/notes/years ]
| Following is the policy that we tried to write down one time (mid 2005).
| Although it is incorrect, we keep it around to remind us how complicated
| things used to be (and may become in the future).
|

| Principle: Individual files need to have the year of the release
|            in the copyright notice if there is significant change.
`----

It's not clear if the first or last part of admin/notes/years reflects
the current policy.  Which part is "incorrect"?  Could someone
clarify, please?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,